Friday, November 5, 2010

Pinch me, I must be dreaming


Shortly after starting work at St. Peter Hospital, I received another unexpected gift. As a 32-year-old male it never entered my mind that a 20-year-old female would give me a second thought. After all, I'd had problems getting any female to give me even a first thought most of my life. So imagine my surprise when the 20-year-old who had been cutting my hair for over a year one day asked me out on a date! Was this one of those acid flashbacks I'd heard about, or was someone playing a joke on me? OK, I'll play along. If she is serious, I'm sure 5 minutes into the date she'll see the error of her ways, admit this was a horrible mistake, and suggest I start getting my hair cut elsewhere.
Well, Christina's still cutting my hair today. Two years after that first date, we were married. This December (2010) will be our 26th anniversary. She doesn't like when I say this, but it's true: I don't know what she sees in me, but I hope she never stops seeing it.
A little more than a year before Christina and I were married, I got whatat the timewas my dream job. Pierce College needed an assistant coordinator and full-time instructor for its AlcoholDrug and Social ServicesMental Health programs. I had applied for the position thinking my chances of getting it were about the same as having monkeys fly out my butt (thanks Mike Meyers). A couple weeks later, I was having breakfast with Dr. Clarke St. Dennis the Coordinator of the program. After breakfast, I asked him how soon I would know if I had the job. He said if I didn't have the job, we wouldn't have had breakfast.
Teaching has always been what I like, no, LOVE doing. Whenever I'm teaching, it's hard to remember that I'm "working" and someone is actually paying me to do it. Even as a counselor, I've always taken a cognitiveeducational approach in working with clients. Now I get to do it for a living full-time. Plus, I'm about to marry one of the most beautiful (inside and outside) people I've ever met. In a life of peaks and valleysI had arrived at Mount Everest.
For two years I lived a life thatnot so many years earlierwas unimaginable. For the first time in my life, I had found a job I could see staying with until I retired and was married to someone I was ready to spend the rest of my life with. What could possibly go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment