Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year!

I generally don’t like New Year’s resolutions. First, you don’t have to wait until the New Year to initiate change. Second, if it was something you really wanted to change, you would have started already. That being said, I continue to resolve that in the New Year I will endeavor to be as true to myself as I can. To paraphrase Shakespeare, if you are true to yourself, you cannot be false to anyone else. I firmly believe that hiding our true selves is what lies at the root of addictions, depression, and ultimatelysuicide. The constant thought that we are “wrong” or “bad” and have to live up to the expectations of others in order to be liked makes life miserable. If I cannot be comfortable within my own skin, I cannot be comfortable around anyone else. No matter how much time I spend with anyone else, I’m with me 24/7. Obviously, if I don’t like me life is going to be a dreary journey. If I do like myself, it’s going to be a wild ride. I’d better hang on!

No comments:

Post a Comment