Thursday, December 30, 2010

No Guru, No Method, No Master

I have, once again, changed the tag line under my photo. The phrase “No Guru, No Method, No Master” first came into my awareness when I misconstrued the title of a Van Morrison album.  The actual title of the album is “No Guru, No Method, No Teacher” but for some reason I always unconsciously substituted “Master” for “Teacher.” Now I consciously make that substitution because I find it more accurate in describing my spiritual path. “Guru” is the Hindu word for a spiritual teacher. “Method” refers to a specific system or technique for achieving spiritual growth. “Master” is akin to Guru or Teacher, but also implies authority over another. These words are also all singular, inferring that there is only one Guru, Method, or Master. As I’m sure you have deduced from this blog, I have no one Guru, or Method, and don’t accept any Masterother than myselfwhen it comes to my spirituality.

No comments:

Post a Comment