Friday, December 3, 2010

I've Learned My Lessons Well

Some friends and acquaintances have commented to me thatalthough they have enjoyed my blog postingsit is sometimes difficult reading them. This, they say, is because of my holding nothing back. In other words, speaking my truth. One of my reasons for creating this blog was to do exactly thatto reveal myself fully before the world, warts and all. In examining my own life, as well as the lives of others, I have discovered that poor self-esteem is the root of nearly all evil. It leads to addictions, depression, and suicide. I have spent far too much of my life wasted in trying to do what Lincoln said could not be doneplease all the people all the time. Having tried, I can say that by trying to please all the people all the time you can be assured of only one thingYOU will be miserable. So I have decided that with whatever time I have left on this earth I am going to follow the advice of the late teen heart-throb Ricky Nelsonif you can’t please everyone then you’ve got to please yourself. Welcome to my garden party.

2 comments:

  1. Two things you posted recently resonated with me,the Buddhist quote and this entry. I believed that I had found my way following a period of reflection after my divorce, but I now know that without constant practice I slip back into my old ways of seeking approval, fighting a losing battle of trying to change/fix things and forgetting to please myself. You've given me a lot to think about and a wakeup call to get back to the business of living my best life. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments. I am honored that you found what I shared useful. Namaste.

    ReplyDelete